Pazzles Bar

Get the Pazzles Inspiration, the most comprehensive electronic die cutter available, for as little as 99 dollars down.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Spellbinders, Stamps and Wood Veneer

Today I tried stamping on wood veneer and cutting it out with Spellbinders dies, and this is the result. It worked very well!

Quite a few years ago I got some paper thin wood veneer. Some of it had self adhesive backing, and some didn't. For the veneer without the backing, I ran it through the Xyron. Since some of it is fairly brittle, I am thinking that there is less chance of splitting it in the Grand Calibur if it's stuck to paper than if it isn't.

After using the Xyron, I put one coat of water based varnish on the veneer to seal it just in case the wood is porous. (It's just the hardware store kind of water based varnish, not the fancy, expensive artists stuff). I then stamped it with Stazon. The stamps I used are JustRite's By the Sea set. The darker background was cut with my paper cutter to the size of the tray, then I used Spellbinders Labels Eighteen and ran the stamped veneer through my Grand Calibur. It cut perfectly in just one pass.

After adhering the layers of veneer to the tray, I gave it three coats of the same varnish.

I may try this again by cutting out the background and then cutting out a stamped image in another kind of wood so that they are flush rather than layered to see how it looks. I also want to try coloring one lightly with my oil color pencils. (I think they were from Walnut Hollow).

It's fun to see how many things we can make with our Spellbinders dies and stamps!

No comments: