Pazzles Bar

Get the Pazzles Inspiration, the most comprehensive electronic die cutter available, for as little as 99 dollars down.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Aquarium Card


I was going through some very old tutorial folders on my computer, trying to figure out something new to make when I came across this tutorial by House of Stirfry. I saved it several years ago, and never tried it. When I saw it again this morning, I decided it would work with some K&Co stacks and die cuts I had.

I was going to make it like the folded tunnel card she did, but on my computer, I am seeing a bunch of question marks instead of numbers for the measurements, so rather than spending hours trying to figure it out, I made mine differently. It's sort of like a regular tunnel card, where you have accordion folded sides, but rather than making tunnels, I added two squares of acetate into the accordions so my fish would swim. There are four layers to this card, the background layer, two acetate layers, and the front of the card. The front was cut with Spellbinders Grand Labels One, and has dimensional die cuts on it.

The die cuts were larger than I wanted for the inside, so I cut smaller images from the paper in the stack and added them to all three inside layers. The only inside image which was a die cut is another plant which was printed onto acetate. I put that plant onto the bottom layer of acetate so some fish would be behind it.

The card is 6x6, and if you want to make one like it, the accordion folds are from sheets of CS which are 4x6 and scored lengthwise at every half inch. This makes enough folds for two layers of acetate inside.

Now I want to try the folded tunnel card like hers if I can figure out the measurements!

7 comments:

Marie-Louise said...

This is brilliant Kathi. I tried this once but found it very fiddly so didn't do it again. You have done a wonderful job.

kathi17 said...

Darn I deleted Sasha's comment by mistake. :-(

She wrote:

This is lovely, Kathi. It's like looking into an aquarium. Quite different for you, but lovely work again! x

visit her at http://sashas-inspirations.blogspot.com/ she has a really beautiful site.

I hate comment moderation, but don't have much choice at the moment, I'm getting spammed like crazy!

JD/ Jill said...

Kathi, this is amazing. You have such patience to make these intricate, cards...thank you for sharing.

Greta said...

Wow--this is amazing!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

WOW Kathy, this is amazing!! I bet this card looks even more stunning in person. I think this picture of it doesn't do any justice. Thank you for sharing.
Maria.

Alison Scott said...

Fabulous Kathi, really aquarium like. Brilliant idea to use acetate.
I have banana fingers so intricate is not me!

Marisa Job said...

Love this card!! Very original!! Your work is always very inspiring!