Pazzles Bar

Get the Pazzles Inspiration, the most comprehensive electronic die cutter available, for as little as 99 dollars down.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Facebook, and why I won't use it

I was just at another card making site. The site is relatively new, and looks like it would be fun to join. On this site, like on so many other card making sites, they want you to use Facebook.

I used to use FB, until I found out people I didn't know were seeing my private photos of my grandchildren. My grandchildren live in a large city, and I worry about their safety. I also worry about the safety of my daughter-in-law, who works in a mall and frequently has to close the store, and leave, all alone, after dark, and walk to her car. (There have been times when she has been scared because some strange people are sometimes out there). People I didn't know were seeing photos of her too.

I found out later , that at the time, every time anyone played those games, or checked their horoscopes, or any of the other things that used to pop up, they released my information to all of their friends, even though mine was private.

Sometimes people tell me that things have changed on there, but I don't trust FB, and I'll tell you why.

I am on a focus group for a company which offers a product that millions of people use to keep themselves secure. Being on the focus group means that I can't tell you the name of the company. I'm really not supposed to give this many details, but I'm going to because it bothers me so much.

A few months ago, one of the discussions was that FB wanted this company to send everyone who had an FB account's exact locations of their vehicles as status updates on FB. Do you have any idea how much this would affect people's safety, the safety of their children, and the safety of their homes from burglars???

Think about it. If FB would want companies to do that, can you really trust them?

2 comments:

Sasha said...

Hi Kathi,
I am with you all the way with this one. And I completely understand why you have concerns about FB.
I don't use ANY social network sites...I was even paranoid about starting my blog. A few years back I was being cyber stalked. It's a long story, but someone I befriended on the internet, and put my trust in, was not who they appeared to be. I cannot go into too much detail on here, but things were so bad that it ended up with me having to change my email accounts, my mobile phone number and our home phone number.
I also know of someone else who's life was in turmoil from a similar situation.
Your concerns are exactly the same as mine, Kathi xx

JD/ Jill said...

Kathi, I won't go on facebook either. I'm concerned about the privacy factor too. so many of my family members are, and want me to go on too. And just like Sasha said in a comment above me, I was also cyber stalked, and had a problem with identity theft. (on line) I almost gave up my blog because of it, but then I decided that I enjoy it so much, I didn't want that taken away from me too.

I see that you are on pinterest (My addiction) I love to look at all the neat craft projects posted there...but I thought you had to be a member of Facebook to join Pinterest?